Ant Control in Melbourne: A Necessity
Ants are a social insect. They generally live in colonies. Ants may enter your home searching for food or seeking for shelter. They generally enter through the smallest holes or openings for food and water. Ants love protein/grease based foods or sugar based foods. Once they successfully find a food source, they leave a pheromone trail so that other ants can follow them.
There is a variety of ants such as Argentine Ants, Crazy Ants, Ghost Ants, Fire Ants, Carpenter Ants, Odorous House Ants, Leafcutter Ants, Pharoah Ants, and Pavement Ants and so on.
There are almost 16,000 species of ants around the globe. The number is growing day by day as the researchers are discovering more and more species. Ants are very common pests in every household. Many of us face difficulties in try to permanently get rid of them.
Marks Pest Control is a leading pest control expert in Melbourne and provides a range of pest control services including ant control, moth control, silverfish control, borer control and others.
Are Ants Harmful to Human Beings?
Most of the ants are not harmful to humans intrinsically. For example, you can pick one ant and it will only scamp around on the hand without stinging or biting. But, this particular innocent behavior is not applicable to all species. Red ants are one of the harmful ants. These species are small but their bite causes severe pain.
However, if a large number of ants bite a person at the same time, it could be really harmful. Additionally, the red fire ant bites as well as injects venom. It may result in anaphylaxis in a person. According to some cases, if a large number of fire ants bite a single person at the same time, this may cause massive anaphylaxis as well as death.
Most of the ants that invade your home are generally harmless in nature. But, they may be indirectly harmful as they can spread germs from different locations to your food.
Ant Control Melbourne: How to Control Ants?
To control ants, inspection is a very important step.
- In order find the ant nests, you have to follow their trails. Ants leave a chemical pheromone trail behind their established row to and from a confirmed food source so that the other ants can easily find that food source.
- Inspect along the doors, carpets edges, windows and the associated areas of the kitchen. One of the easiest ways to find an ant trail is to keep an eye where the ants go after fetching the food. If your target is the Carpenter Ants, you should inspect at night rather than at day as most of the Carpenter Ants are nocturnal. You can notice that these ants emerge from the damaged wood inside your house as well as outside the woodpiles, tree stumps, and water-damaged wood.
- If you want to inspect the ants outside your house, then you should search them around the foundation walls, mulch or the areas of vegetation. Any vegetation near the walls and patios may be associated with some hidden ant nests or their trails. Check under all the places on the ground. Some ant nests are hidden.
- If possible, you can treat the nest directly as well as use non-repellent insecticide or bait around the house and on the trails of ants
Ant Control Melbourne: Other Methods
- Outsider ants can enter your home in search of foods. Some of the species reside and make permanent nests inside the houses. You can follow the following tips in order to prevent the ant infestation:
- Seal and caulk cracks as well as crevices in order to eliminate the passage into your home.
- You should clean all possible entry points using detergent in order to remove the chemical trail pheromone. After that, spray residual insecticides (non-repellent) such as FUSE Insecticide or Taurus SC around every possible perimeter as well as entry points.
- Ant Baits are a very successful method for controlling ants. Ant baits are available in gels, stations or granules. These baits are associated with sugar-based active ingredients or protein/grease-based active ingredients in order to attract a large number of ant species as well as target their dietary needs.
The Carpenter Ants are mostly active during the evening hours both outside and inside. You have to observe them in order to apply the spray or bait. You can use a non-repellent insecticide in order to minimize the risk. However, if the situation is out of control, it is highly recommended to consult a professional pest control service.
Marks Pest Control is a leading pest control expert in Melbourne. We adopt eco-friendly, safe and reliable pest control methods. We are certified and licensed ant control experts in Melbourne. Contact us to know more about Ant Control Melbourne.