Are termites are making you upset? Seeing lots of mud tubes in your living places? NO WORRY!
If you happen to live in Melbourne, Australia, you can rest easy. Termites won’t be bothering you anytime soon. Small but mighty, termites cause about $5 billion in property damage annually. When ever you look any spot or signs of termite damage you can take proactive steps to keep them from munching away on your home. Better yet, you can learn how to keep them from setting up camp in the first place!
What Are Termites?
A termite is best characterized as an insect-destructive wood. Often they’re incorrectly called white ants, but they are far away.
What Termite Causes You?
Termite causes lots of damage to your property. Also, they cause allergic reactions to the people living in the infected area. These pests are the worst nightmare of the homeowners. They slowly and methodically chew the wall, furniture, floor, and anything that is made up of wood. Also, they are very active. They don’t even sleep, work for 24 hours, and seven days to destroy your property.
Determine The Type Of Termites You Have.
These colony pests are found in 5 different types. No matter where ever you are living either in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, or any other place, you can easily notice these termites. Termites have protozoa and bacteria in their gut that break down the cellulose fibers that is present in the wood.
Conehead Termites: These termites were called initially as “tree termites.” But the name we changed to remove the misconception that these termites only live in the tree. Cone head termites forge on the ground like an ant and get spread quickly. They build up free-standing mud tubes that are dark brown in color and of 3 feet in diameter.
Dampwood Termites: These termites work the same as their name. They like high moisture content wood for infestation. These termites are large. They need direct and regular contact with water to survive. They are generally brown in color, and abdomens are reddish coloured.
Drywood Termites: Dry wood termites do not require the soil moisture to survive. They love to destroy the dry wood, such as eaves, cornices, siding, and walls. They make their nest in the roof materials.
Formosan Termites: These termites are referred to as “super termites” as they are the most aggressive and voracious overall kind of termites. They are found in creamy white to brown color. They have translucent wings that are covered with small hairs.
Subterranean Termites: These termites make their habitat in underground or moist scheduled areas. They made mud tubes that saves them from open air and to reach the food source. They have scissor-like jaws that allow them to eat the wood.
Natural DIY Termites Control Methods
Here are some common methods by which you can make your home termite-free.
1. Remove the food source: Before eliminating the pests from your house, remove all types of food sources on which termites feed. Like outdoor woodpiles, paper debris, and old tree stumps are the most common food sources. To make your treatment successful, eliminate these things first.
2. Block all the entry points: termites need any type of entry point to enter inside the house. Repair all the blocks and crakes that are visible. Also, make the regular check-up of your home and instantly eliminate the termites that are found.
3. Natural treatment: To terminate termites, some natural treatment like neem oil, orange oil, borax, wet cardboard, vinegar, etc. are available that gives the correct and desired result.
4. Chemical Treatment: If termites are living in your home form a very long time, then the best way to treat them is to apply the chemical. There are a number of pesticides that are present in the market to control termites.
Termites, as such, do not have the fixed time slot of appearance, they are active throughout the year. They are mostly found from March to November. In the warmer climatic zone, they remain active throughout the year. The visibility of termites depends upon the places you live in. They do not forage for food when the soil is too hot or too cold.
Look for Signs of Termite Infestation
Termites sometimes also called ‘white ants’ are one of the most destructive pests Australian homeowner faces. They can cause more damages to your home than fire, floods, storms, and tempest, combined. That’s why to keep your property safe from these destructive pests it is very essential to notice their presence before it too late.
Before being detected, termites live on your property for an extended period of time. You will notice them after seeing some destruction that is caused by them. Some of the common signs that termites are hanging around you:
- Discolored or dropping drywall
- The hollow sound of wood after tapping.
- The appearance of small pinpoint holes in the walls and furniture.
- Mud tubes climbing the foundation of your home.
- Wood coloured droppings.
- Discarded wings near windows and doors.
Members of Termite Colony
Termites are different from other organisms. They love to live in organised colonies. The king and Queen termites form millions of termites. The member of the termite colony are :
1. Worker: In the colony of termite, the wingless and soft-bodied termites are termed as Worker. They are most frequently seen as the distribution of infested wood is done. In some termites colonies, the immature or adults termites are a worker. They take care of the eggs and immature termites and also the building structure and maintenance of the colony.
2. Soldier: The protectors of the group are more robust. They are large in size as compared to the other termite’s members. They have darker heads and more massive mandibles in comparison to the worker. Soldier protects and defends the colony from the predators.
3. Reproducers: The termites that generates other termites are the reproducers. They have a different appearance from others as they have darker bodies from other termites. At the age of maturity, the reproducers termites have two pairs of wings that are of equal size and called alates — they creat the new colonies after swarming fight as they shed their wings.
4. Queen: The Queen member of the colony is the largest in the physical size. They have much more mass than the Worker. The primary function of the Queen lays the eggs. The number of eggs may be thousand in a day.
5. New Branch: Some colonies are also formed after the division of the large existing colonies. These colonies have the capability to reproduce and grow their own independent colony.
In 2020, How Much Does Termite Treatments Cost?
The size and type of termites colonies that is needed to be treated, determine the exact cost. Removing the large number of termites families are costlier than a small number of termites. Here we are providing the general cost that are charged by the professional termite controllers.
- The termite treatment, which is done with the help of spray or dust, may cost you near about between $330 to $ 660, depending upon the level of the damage.
- The long-lasting treatment is the soil treatment that will cost you approx $2500 to $3500.
- The cost of termite baiting is approximately between $2500 to $3500.
- For the pre-purchase termite inspection, you may have to pay near about $250.
Getting Rid of Termites Yourself
Some natural remedies can be followed to reduce the population of termites.
1. Orange Oil: The orange oil has the active ingredient as d-limonene. The termites found this oil as intolerable. Just wipe out some of the drops of the oil on the infected location, and if termites come in direct contact, then they will surely go away from the place.
2. Clove Oil: Clove Oil is the simple natural killer for the termites. Mix the oil and the water into a spray bottle. Spray it on the termites and have an effective result.
3. Cardboard: Take any useless cardboard and damp in into the water. It will smell the same as the wood. Place the wet cardboard on the infected place, and you will notice that termites come over cardboard. As soon as you see the termites on the cardboard, destroy it, and have a termite-free life.
4. Boric acid: It is the commonly used natural killer for termites. They have a very worse reaction with boric acid. The active element of the boric acid affects the nervous system of the termites and kills them instantly.
5. Salt: Salt is the common household thing that is available to everyone. Mix some amount of water and salt and apply it on the affected area. It will dehydrate the termites, and as a result, termites will be gone.
6. Remove Stumps: As soon as you notice any type of termite infestation removes all the sources that can be used by the termites to hide themselves or to make them as habitat.
7. Wash them out: After noticing any type of mud tube, wash that affected area thoroughly. As washing will destroy the whole habitat of the termites and will force them to relocate.
8. Sunlight: When you see any wooden material that has moisture inside it then place it in the sunlight. Also, if termites were residing in that furniture, then termites will come out, and the sunlight makes them dry, and they will die.
Getting Professional Termite Eradication Help
It is not easy to control the termite and when its age is very old. In that scenario, the professional termite controllers play an important role. The best termite control Melbourne company is Marks Pest Control. We are experts in dealing with all types of termites. Our services are available every time. We provide termite control services at the cheapest cost. Our technicians have complete knowledge regarding all kinds of treatments that are required to extradite the termites. We also offer some preventive measures to stop the population of termites. You can call us anytime to book our service. We provide same-day service to our clients. We don’t even charge any extra cost for Saturday and Sunday work.
When you’re ready to get termite inspection for your premises, we are ready to assist. Give us a call on tel:0433791074 or Get a free quote now. We’re here for you.